Q: Car sputters and sounds like it wants to stall in Park

asked by on February 06, 2016

When in Park, my car is sputtering and sounds like it wants to stall out. But when I get to driving around, the vehicle idles fine. Also, it takes roughly three to six seconds to start up and sounds like it's having a hard time turning over.

Car is hard to start Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. If the engine has a hard time starting and idles roughly, then it may need a tune up. If the spark plugs or other parts of the ignition system are worn, then this will occur. Another common cause of this is a failure in the fuel system. A failing fuel pressure regulator or a fuel injector that is leaking will cause this. A mechanic would start by checking the fuel pressure and the ignition system to see if there is a failure. If this is something that you plan on having looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can inspect the starting issue your vehicle is encountering and replace any failing component.