Q: Battery

asked by on March 01, 2017

I want to charge my phone using my car, should I turn the car on all the way or just put it in the second position of the ignition? What are the pros and cons? Thank You!

Phones use a trivial amount of power so there is certainly no need to start the vehicle. If your vehicle is equipped with 12 volt outlets and/or a cigarette lighter plug receptacle, those sources may be "always on" and thus you don’t need the key. Therefore, check for power first at those sources and if there is power you need do nothing further. If, however, the key is required, you would turn the key to the "accessory" position (NOT "on") and that will supply power to the 12 volt sources such as the cigarette lighter. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.