Q: Battery light flashing, car cannot be started

Several days ago, the battery light began to flash on the dashboard. The following day, the car couldn't be started up. At the shop, i was told that the battery was drained due to the bad alternator. I had the alternator and battery replaced. However, during the same day, the dashboard showed several lights illuminated and flashing including the battery light. The next time I tried to start the car, it was shut off completely and couldn't be turned on. What could be causing this? Thank you in advance.

A: Hello there. In most cases similar to this,...

Hello there. In most cases similar to this, the alternator and battery will fix the issues you have described. In more rare cases, there may be other things that cause the same symptoms. They are the battery cables, alternator fuse, or a bad ground cable somewhere. It’s also possible that the shop did not correctly either the battery or alternator. If you want to have this checked by a second mechanic, a technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your starting issue and let you know what needs repair.