Q: How do I remove the tailgate?

How do I remove the tailgate?

A neat feature of the vehicle is the removable tailgate. This feature is really convenient for loading large items into the bed. The tailgate should be open to start out.

1. Lift the tailgate up slightly so that the cable connecting it to the body of the truck bends noticeably.

2. On the end of the cable attached to the truck, there is a tab that can be lifted away from the bolt holding it in place by pulling up on a retaining clip on the tab. There are two of these cables that need to be detached.

3. It is advised that two people complete this step. Lift the tailgate until it is sitting at a 45 degree angle. Lift the right side of the tailgate to release it from the truck. Once the right side is removed the tailgate can be moved to the right to completely release it from the truck.

4. Returning the tailgate to the truck is the same sequence in reverse.

Tip

If your vehicle has the tailgate assist feature, it needs to be lifted higher, nearly closed, before the tailgate is fully separated from the truck.