Q: The vehicle makes a humming/whining sound immediately after highway driving. After several minutes off highway, noise stops.

I've noticed an issue with my vehicle, and I'm looking for some advice on what may be the problem. After driving on the highway, the vehicle makes a humming/whining sound when it is in motion. I cannot tell if the sound occurs on the highway as the vehicle is a convertible and quite noisy. The noise seems to occur once in each revolution of the wheels. When the vehicle is stopped, there is no sound. If any pressure is applied to the brakes, the sound also disappears. After a few minutes off the highway and just driving at lower speed, the noise disappears completely. It would seem to me that some component is heating up as the wheel rotates at highway speed, and causing something to rub. At lower speeds, with less intense heat, the expansion goes away and the rubbing isn't an issue.

Hello, thank you for writing in. There are several issues that may cause these issues. You will want to start by making sure the brakes are not sticking. This can be done by raising the vehicle and checking for grinding or rubbing. Secondly, check the tires to make sure they are properly balanced, have good tread, and are properly inflated. These are the most common causes or tire noise. However if the issue goes deeper, you may want to inspect the wheel hubs and suspension. If you have more reason to believe the convertible top is to blame, check the seals and the latches first. For more help with an inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. The vehicle makes a humming/whining sound immediately after highway driving. After several minutes off highway, noise stops.