Q: My 2012 hemi ram 1500 has a very load fan noise when going over 2000 RPM same noise with or without the a/c on

asked by on July 14, 2017

My hemi ram 1500 has a very load fan noise every time I hit 1500 rpm and up with or without the A/C on the noise is the same when gears shift up it will stop briefly until I hit the gas in that gear than the fan starts agin it's almost like it's spinning to fast it drives fine but the sound is alarming since I do not know if this is normal or not I've only owned it for 24 hours and do not know what to compare it to I'm not sure but think it has an eco mode I was told this means it switches from V8 to 4 cylinder I was not sure if that had anything to do with the load fan

Fan Clutch Replacement $120.68 - $585.60 Get a Quote

Hi There, What you are describing sounds like a fan clutch that may be wearing out. A mechanical fan clutch works by helping to control the radiator cooling fan speeds as the engine heats up and cools down. As the motor heats up, the clutch causes the fan to spin faster to help draw more air into the radiator to cool the engine down. As the engine temperature cools down, the fan begins to disengage and spins slower. There are typically two types of fan clutches. The most common is one that is filled with fluid and uses a bi-metallic sensory system similar to that of a thermostat. The second type is an electrically controlled fan that is operated based upon various electrical inputs (i.e. engine oil temperature, coolant temperature, AC system pressures, etc.) that help to control when the fan speeds up or slows down. What you are hearing is likely the fan working harder more often than it should be. I would suggest having an expert from YourMechanic come to your location to take a look at your vehicle to determine what may be causing this.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr