Q: Brakes out hitting hole

asked by on July 27, 2016

I hit a small pot hole in the road and applied my brakes, but they went all the way to the floor! I pumped them over and over and they still wouldn't hold. The brakes were completely out. I managed to drive home OK, and the next day the brakes worked normally. A few months later the same thing happened when I hit a bump then stepped on the brakes. But this time they didn’t go back to working normal. I went ahead and bled the brakes with a pneumatic bleeder. If I pump the brakes 3 or 4 times my brake pedal works. But by the 5th time they go to the floor. It now stops OK with the little brake pedal I have, but something is definitely wrong. Do you have any ideas?

Hi there, thanks for writing in about your 2000 Ford E-250. Some master cylinders will let in just a little bit of air when the fluid is splashed around too much in the reservoir, which is likely what has happened to yours. The only way to really combat this is to make sure you have a good master cylinder cap and to try to keep the fluid above the max level so the air wont even have the space to move inside of the master cylinder. To add more assurance that the air did not get in any other way, check the master cylinder and other hydraulic brake components for leaks.