Q: Corrosion on starter terminals

asked by on August 02, 2017

after parking in lot, I returned from a quick trip to the store to find my car would not start. I opened the hood to find positive terminal corroded and broken. I hooked up battery starter on the positive cables past the terminal and nothing changed. I used a voltage tester which showed proper current to start the car. The battery seemed to charge enough to get the dash lights to come on but still not making a sound to start the car. I plan on replacing the battery and both terminals today. I am wondering if something else could be preventing it from starting.

Corrosion on the terminals will definitely impact the flow of current to the starter. The other potential issue may be a faulty connection to the starter relay. If the starter relay is faulty or not receiving the proper current, it may also cause the car not to start. I would suggest also testing the starter relay for proper current.