Q: Car overheats; coolant leak

My car overheated, and the coolant fluid is leaking. I replaced the upper reservoir hoses/clamps and was told the head gasket is torn. I needed a serpentine belt, water pump, and tensioner, etc.

If the engine got hot enough to cause a head gasket failure then all of these other parts must be replaced with it. I typically do a block test to verify that the head gasket is bad. If it is then the heads needs to be removed and sent to a machine shop for rebuilding. If you are going to repair the vehicle, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to determine the cause of your overheating issue and make the correct repairs.

3. Car overheats; coolant leak