Q: My car stalls when hitting a bump, once stalled it takes a while for the engine to restart.

When Im driving and hit a bump my car stalls. Once stalled, it takes a while for the engine to turn back on and it appears to be flooded.

If your vehicle is only stalling when you hit a bump then it will be a loose electrical connection or an electronic part that is sensitive to road shock. This will need to be isolated to locate the issue. The fact that you are flooding the engine with fuel indicates you may be loosing spark to the ignition system. You may have a loose connection at the distributor or an ignition module that is bad.

I’m going to take a leap and guess that you have a problem in the connection at the coolant temp sensor. In the older cars like yours, an interruption in the circuit at the coolant temp sensor could cause a car to flood and stall because the open circuit is seen by the controller as sub-zero coolant temperature. If there is a problem in the wiring harness or the connection at the sensor, a strong jolt could interrupt your connection. Of course I can’t see your car and there might be other issues at work. To get a hands-on diagnosis, you can contact Your Mechanic. They can send a technician to your home or office to check out your stalling Samurai and let you know just what it is going to take to solve it.

3. My car stalls when hitting a bump, once stalled it takes a while for the engine to restart.