Q: ABS, traction control and 4wd lights come on, brakes dragging? 2008 Jeep Patriot

asked by on November 29, 2016

When I start my car my abs traction control and 4wd light comes on the 4wd light flashes and when I start to drive the brakes will lock on slitly and off and on then 4wd will go solid and that puts it into front wheel drive ?? And it's when off for a bit then I filled my car up at a different fuel station and light came back on. Could it be the fuel ??

Hello - mostly likely, a malfunctioning wheel speed sensor or other ABS sensor is causing these symptoms. ABS, traction control and auto-engaging 4WD are integrated systems, and share sensors. A malfunction in one system can bleed over to the other systems. I would recommend an ABS system inspection by a mobile, professional mechanic, such as one from YourMechanic, who will come to your location, diagnose this problem, give you an accurate assessment of damage and cost estimate for repairs.