Both my engine power reduced and stability track light ca...

Q: Both my engine power reduced and stability track light came on.

asked by on July 06, 2017

I had my oil changed about a week ago and today as I was coming home I had both my stability track light and a warning about engine power reduced. Last time I had the stability track light my brakes had to be changed front and back that was less than 6 months ago. Do I tow it tonight or wait and see if it occurs again. I also turned the car off and restarted it and it happened again.

Hi There, The Stability Track light relates to the vehicles traction control system. When the computer detects an issue with this system, it will often times put the vehicle into a reduced power phase in an effort to prevent further damage and to keep the passengers safe. The traction control system monitors the steering and stability of the vehicle and engages when loss of traction has been detected. This is done by the use of electronic sensors at each of the four wheels that communicate with the Powertrain Control Module (PCM) regarding steering performance and stability in adverse weather conditions. The traction control system works by reducing engine speed and determining which wheel to apply brake pressure to in order to prevent the vehicle from sliding. The anti-lock braking system and the traction control system work together to maintain the stability of the vehicle. The computer uses this information received from electronic sensors regarding the rotational speed of each wheel, the horizontal motion of the vehicle, and the vertical motion of the vehicle to determine how to direct the traction control system or the anti-lock braking system to best control the vehicle when needed. When this warning indicator light comes on in the dashboard, this could be an indication of several issues such as faulty wheel speed sensors, a faulty steering angle sensor, a faulty rotational speed sensor or a problem with the steering rack. In some cases, the traction control system may simply need to be reprogrammed. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to properly diagnose your traction control system.