Q: My car constantly overheats within a couple of minutes and I've had all of the cooling system replaced already.

My truck keeps overheating after a couple of minutes of driving it. I can't make it to the next town over and back without having problems. I've been to a local mechanic already and I've had the thermostat and the water pump changed however the needle for the temp control keeps hitting the red and then the a/c off light flashes and tells me to cut the engine off. I've also had a tune up recently to replace the spark plugs because my check engine light was on but after these problems it popped right back on yesterday.

Hi there. If the engine takes a little time to overheat, then it is possible that the radiator could be plugged up. If the engine overheats fast, then either there is air in the cooling system or one or both head gaskets are burned. With the engine cold, try starting the engine and check the coolant temperature with a Reytek Thermo Gun on the upper coolant hose and see what the temperature goes to as the engine beings to overheat and then stall out. If there is no change or does not overheat, then the coolant temperature sensor needs replaced. If the temperature rises, then check the lower radiator hose. If only one hose is hot and the other is cold, then the radiator is plugged. If both are hot, then there is a burned head gasket. If you need further assistance with your engine overheating, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

• My car constantly overheats within a couple of minutes and I've had all of the cooling system replaced already.