Q: Car just came from Mercedes-Benz they gave me a fault code P0340 62 they want to remove the valve cover and check for the camshaft

asked by on October 08, 2017

I have a 2012 Mercedes-Benz C250 just pick it up from Mercedes Benz they want to remove the valve cover and check for camshaft timing they have a fault code P034062. They want 420.00 to inspect it. my car rattles when you first start it up in the morning and then it goes away and it's getting worse and worse it keeps kicking out a cam sensor code and I want to change the cam phasers and the timing tensioner before something goes out and ends up bending my valves in the engine or stretching the chain or grinding the teeth off cams. It will cost me that much to do it my self thanks all ready bought timing chain tensioner looking to buy the intake and exhaust cam phasers thanks for any input .

If your car was used under normal service, it does not have enough miles for the timing chain or gears to have worn out and caused the problem you are describing. Furthermore, the fault code that you are referring to often has an electrical cause and that should be ruled out prior to any disassembly. Did the dealer observe the signal from the intake camshaft position sensor to determine if there is a sensor or electrical problem? If you want to obtain a diagnostic, and repair of this issue, all on a mobile basis which will save you money, the relevant service to request is a Check Engine Light diagnostic. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic because we want you to make the most of your repair dollars and help you to get the best possible results.