Q: 2012 chevy cruze 1.4 engine was making ticking/rattling noise for 3 days then shut off in the middle of the freeway and wont start

asked by on September 04, 2017

A ticking/rattling noise was coming from the engine for about 3 days then on my way home from work it gave me a stabilitrac error and traction error before shutting off in the middle of the freeway and hasnt started since then

Change Oil and Filter $92.33 - $165.78 Get a Quote
ABS Speed Sensor Replacement $108.10 - $630.75 Get a Quote

What you are describing sounds like the noise associated with a lack of proper oiling lubrication in the valve train. This may happen for a number of reasons, but could be due to a failing oil pump or plugged oil passages. I would recommend getting a fresh oil change which should help clear this up. Fresh oil will help remove any sludge that may also contribute to any potential lack of oil circulation. Use the sound as a guide and if this does not clear up or gets any worse, this could be something to be concerned about and should be looked at by a mechanic.

The stabilitrac error relates to your vehicles traction control system. Your vehicle is equipped with wheel speed sensors at each of the four wheels which monitor wheel speed while relaying this information simultaneously to the ABS and traction control system which are controlled by the car’s ECU. When the ECU senses an abnormal speed given specific conditions, it engages the ABS or traction control as needed to control the vehicle properly and safely. Occasionally, these sensors can fail or become faulty working intermittently sending inaccurate signals to the ECU. When this happens, you may experience the symptoms you have described. The ABS or traction control system may be inadvertently activated by these false or inaccurate signals. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your location to diagnose and inspect your vehicle.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr