Q: Car will not start because of electric problem

asked by on November 06, 2015

There is some part of the electrical system, maybe connected to the alarm or something, that will not allow my 2007 Chevrolet Impala to start. I know that it is not the battery dying, as I carry a battery jumper with me and that did nothing. What would cause this? The car isn’t new, it has 64,000 miles on it, but this is ridiculous. I hate not being able to rely on my car! What can I do?

The theft deterrent system on your vehicle has a module that needs to see a key that belongs to the vehicle to turn on the ignition so your vehicle can start. While looking at the theft light on the dash the light should not be on when you are trying to start the vehicle. If the light is out, then you may have another issue causing the no start. If the light is on, then the problem is in the theft deterrent module or the key. First try the second key that came with your vehicle. If that worked then a replacement key will be needed. If it still doesn’t start then try replacing both remote batteries and retry. If it still doesn’t start then the theft module would have to be replaced and reprogrammed by using the Tech 2 system.