Q: On my town & country I was starting to getting a whining sound with the engine rpm. we pulled the cerpenteen belt and the alt

The alt pully seemed to be loose or would spin about 1/8 of way around before it would turn the rotor. We removed it and its tight but is like it has a clutch built in. We popped off the plastic end cap and it was rust, dust inside. Is there some kind of clutch in the pully

A growing trend in the auto industry is the use of alternator decoupler pulleys. These pulleys power the alternator during cruising and acceleration and disengage during deceleration. This helps improve fuel economy by reducing the load on the engine. These pulleys require a special tool for removal once the plastic cap is off. A professional, such as one from YourMechanic, will have the proper equipment to complete this task for you.

3. On my town & country I was starting to getting a whining sound with the engine rpm. we pulled the cerpenteen belt and the alt