Alternator draining battery 1996 v6-3.1l alternators cent...

Q: Alternator draining battery

asked by on February 17, 2016

The alternator is draining my battery.

Hi there. If the alternator is not properly charging then the battery will die over time. The alternator needs to be load tested to see if it is going bad. Bad connections at the alternator and at the battery can act like a bad alternator so all of the connections should be checked first. If the connections are fine, it is still not charging then the alternator will more than likely need to be replaced. If you are going to have this done, consider using YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose your vehicle and replace your alternator if needed.