Q: Catalytic converter replacement

asked by on October 18, 2016

I brought my car to a mechanic for a tune up. Everything was running good and no check engine light. Now all of a sudden I have to replace my catalytic converter and my check engine light is on. Did the mechanic mess up my car or is it a problem that I caused

Hello. It’s quite possible that there is no one at fault here. It may just be unfortunate timing. I’m assuming that you have had the codes read and that is why you have decided you need to replace the catalytic converter. If there were no codes present other that catalyst efficiency, then it might just be normal wear and tear.

If there were any misfire codes or other problems before the tune up, driving it in that condition may have lead to a catalyst failure, but 170,000 miles is not really a premature failure. Many cars need to have at least one catalyst replacement before they reach 200,000 miles. YourMechanic can send a technician to your home who can replace your catalyst and advise you further as to what other conditions may exist.