Q: Check engine light on and the engine is idling really bad.

asked by on February 21, 2017

Check engine light on po496 car idling really bad having trouble starting after getting gas an car shakes an turns off

Canister Purge Solenoid Replacement $112.55 - $402.61 Get a Quote
Car idle is rough Inspection $79.99 - $99.99 Get a Quote

The check engine light code P0496 leads to the evaporative charcoal canister purge valve solenoid may not be functioning properly.

Check the purge valve solenoid on the charcoal canister and see if there is a smell of gas. If so, then the valve is venting too much and may be defective. If the purge valve solenoid is working, then the charcoal canister could be blocked up forcing the system to perform a vapor lock keeping the fuel from pressurizing on the fuel rail.

If you need further assistance with your engine running rough it idle, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr