Q: Screeching serpentine belt when the a/c is on. Is this a problem with the serpentine belt?

Hi Joshua, I have a question about my wife's 2003 dodge neon. Recently we drove it from Nevada to California and back, and on the way back, the car started screeching very loudly when the a/c was on, or the car was in idle. Now that I am back home., if I start the car it instantly starts screeching until I barely press the acceleration pedal then the sound stops unless I turn the a/c on. I replaced the timing belt myself and this problem is still there. My question is, is this a problem with the serpentine belt? Or is it the alternator failing( the check battery light is on)

A: Hi there. There is a problem with the alte...

Hi there. There is a problem with the alternator or a/c compressor clutch pulley. Check the pulleys out on each item and see which one is creating a heavy load or a skipping feeling as if the bearing is seizing up. The serpentine belt needs replaced for it is already burned from the pulley pressure. If you need further assistance with the screeching noise, then seek out a professional, such as one from Your Mechanic, to help you.