Q: drivers side power window will not go down on 1999 buick Century

asked by on June 21, 2017

Drivers side power window stopped going down three weeks after I bought car. Installed new switch cluster on drivers door and window worked for three days and stopped going down again. Once I can get it down, it will power up. Did this before changing switch and one time after changing switch. Removed door panel and weather plastic barrier and found no corrosion that I could see. Ordered a new window motor, but have not installed. Asking if there are any other possible causes for this window to not go down. All of the other windows have always worked fine .Car has never been garaged since new.

Hello, thank you for writing in. The window motor may have failed, and replacing it is a good idea. If you have a voltmeter, you can test that the motor is receiving power when the switch is pressed to go down. The motor will reverse polarity to switch the motor from going up to down, and it should read 12 volts while going down, and -12 volts when going up. If the voltage readings are correct, and the motor is not responding, then the motor is the problem. If the readings at the motor or incorrect, there is a circuit problem likely pertaining to the wiring or the switch. For more help with testing, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.