Q: Engine light...

So my engine light came on 2-3 weeks ago and I took it to a mechanic I had never used before and they checked it and also did a full car inspection, so they did a lot of good amount of work (Oil chance, Air filter change, etc.) Then 5 days after I got it back the engine light came back on and it was leaking gas out of intake valve/gasket and they fixed that, now 5 more days after getting it back again the engine light came back on and I was wondering what might cause that and/or I should still trust that mechanic.

A: when your check engine light comes on, it i...

when your check engine light comes on, it is because your car’s controller has detected a malfunction and stored a corresponding trouble code. The technician can read the codes with a scan tool, and take the appropriate action. He then clears the code from the system and the light goes out. Even if the malfunction has not been fixed, the car has to go through two complete "drive cycles" before the light will come back on. A drive cycle begins with a cold start and requires that the car be driven long enough for it to warm up fully before it is complete. That is why, in many cases a technician can fail to repair the problem and the CEL will not return for a couple of days. Sometimes a novice technician might not know how to road test a car and check for "pending" codes to make certain the problem is solved. I can’t give you any advice about the repair without knowing what code(s) the technician found. But I can suggest that you start fresh and contact YourMechanic, who will send a technician to your home or office to read the codes and help you understand what needs to be done.