Q: Service engine soon light keeps coming on

My car is relatively new and has 34,000 miles on it, so I was surprised to see the dashboard showing the service engine soon light illuminated. I went to the BMW dealership and they had some sensors replaced. This occurred a couple more times and I went to the dealership again. They made some suggestions that didn't sound plausible to me as the car a 2013 model and this shouldn't be happening already. Do you have any idea what could be wrong?

Hello. It is not normal for a fairly new car with low miles to have the Check Engine Light come on. However, that doesn’t mean that sensors won’t fail. There may also be sensors that are faulty, in addition to the sensors that you just had replaced. If there are any recalls on your vehicle this might be the cause of your problem as well. A least likely possibility is that the PCM need to be updated or reprogrammed. You should have this car looked at by a qualified technician, such as one from YourMechanic, to diagnose the illuminated Check Engine Light and help you fix it accordingly.

3. Service engine soon light keeps coming on