Q: Should I Replace My Headlight Bulbs With LED Bulbs

asked by on November 18, 2015

Should I replace my headlight bulbs with LED bulbs?

The best answer to this will depend on what your intentions are with respect to your lights. The standard headlights on vehicles come in many forms including halogen, Xenon HID, or LED (light emitting diode).

There are different types of halogen lights from standard to long life and super white bulbs. These bulbs tend to have different light dispersal patterns when looking at the main beam of light projected in front of your vehicle. They even have lights which come in slight shades of bright blue or purple as well.

Check your local laws for proper application of these lights. In fact, there are more than a dozen choices when selecting traditional halogen light bulbs for your vehicle. Each style of bulb has some benefits and cost differences associated with them which needs to be considered when replacing bulbs or upgrading.

You should first consider what the cost of the outcome is and how long you intend on keeping your vehicle. LED bulbs traditionally last far longer than any other type of bulb. They operate at a lower power consumption as well but require a heatsink to be installed so proper installation is a factor to consider. The cost of the bulbs is more as well, but when averaged over the lifespan probably comes out to be similar overall. As with any upgrade to the original factory components, you need to decide if cost is worth the outcome and what you want to achieve as your end result.

Seeing clearly is an important part of safe driving at night. Depending on where you live and drive you may experience road hazard like debris from crashes or trash on the road, potholes, and animals on the highway. Good vision starts with proper headlights aimed correctly and clean headlight lenses. Whatever you decide, remember it’s always best to replace headlights in pairs.