Q: Does camshaft position sensor affect in any way the fuel consumption?! 2003 Mercedes ML350

asked by on December 28, 2016

replaced cam sensor and it seems that rpm are a bit higher than before at cruising speed.

Hello - yes, a failed camshaft sensor can negatively affect fuel economy. With a failed cam sensor, engine management reverts to a "fail safe" engine timing scheme which is less efficient than when all sensors are working properly. The symptom you describe however - "RPMs seem higher at cruising speed" should NOT be related to the cam sensor. Perhaps you have accidentally invoked "Sport" mode, which may not include torque converter lockup, or select Overdrive? Doing so would have the effect you believe you are noticing.