Q: How do the side air bags work?

asked by on December 15, 2015

How do the side air bags work?

Your car includes front air bags, as well as side air bags. Your side air bags are located in the pillars beside the driver front and passenger front seats. They are controlled by the air bag system, and initiated by a signal from one of the crash/impact sensors located on the sides of the car. The passenger side air bag is designed to deploy with an impact on that side. The driver side air bag will inflate during certain types of impacts on the driver’s side.

Tips

• The side air bags will not necessarily deploy in all side impact situations. The severity of the impact determines if they deploy.

• The passenger side air bag will not inflate if there is no passenger present, or if the air bag system has turned off the passenger side air bags.

• Both side air bags may deploy in an angled front impact if the system determines that it is necessary.