Q: Water in dry clutch system

I need a mechanic to explain how water might enter into a dry clutch system and how it would eventually damage the clutch

A: If all the covers, plugs, and shields are i...

If all the covers, plugs, and shields are in place, water in the clutch is usually not a problem. Some cars have their timing marks on the flywheel and the plugs get left out by somebody checking the timing, or sometimes a shield is left off of the bottom of the bell housing and that may allow water in, but short of driving through a big storm, water usually does not get into the clutch if all the parts are in place.

What does get in is humidity. If a car is parked for a long time in a humid environment, the flywheel may rust where the clutch disk is contacting it. This might "cement" the disk to the flywheel, causing a sticking condition that can sometimes be solved by jerking the car in gear, and in others it might require transmission removal.

In short,if all the parts are there, water shouldn’t be a problem on a car that is driven regularly.