Q: My car squeaks when I drive and while it’s idling

asked by on October 18, 2016

I was wanting to know if something is possibly wrong with my Alternator. It sounds like the squeak is coming from near the alternator. My car Also Takes a few seconds(4-5) to turn over when i go to start it.

Hi there, It is very common for a failing bearing or bushing on the inside of an alternator to squeak. It is also possible that a failing bearing can allow the alternator shaft to move inside the housing, and the alternator may not charge the battery to its peak potential. So yes, it is possible that the noise is coming from the alternator. Just keep in mind that there are other causes, in the same general area of the alternator, that can cause a squeak and sound like it is coming from the alternator. The other belt driven accessories, and the belt tensioners, can cause a squeaking noise. If the problem persists, consider making an appointment with YourMechanic, so a professional can come to your home and fix your alternator.