Q: Car running hot - 2006 Cadillac CTS

While driving the temp gauge sits a little over the halfway Mark and will rise until the next line and move down and up while driving. If it sits on the line to long I will turn on the heat and it will lower to right above the half way mark. Also after I shut the car off if I hop back in after walking into a store the needle is high never in the red but high and will drop back down after the fan kicks in. Had the thermostat replaced and there is antifreeze is the car. I do notice a oil smell when driving but now all the time.

Hello. This can be caused by a few different things. Most of the time, this is caused by a restricted radiator or a water pump that is getting weak. It can also be caused by a head gasket that has a small leak and it allowing combustion pressure to enter the cooling system. I usually start by doing a block test first. This will tell me if it is a head gasket issue.

If the test is positive, then the engine needs to be rebuilt. If not, then I check the temperature differences in the radiator to see if it is restricted and replace it, and check the water pump if there is a coolant flow issue. I also check to make sure that the fans are coming on when it gets hot. If not, then it may be a fan issue. If you need to have this looked at, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the overheating issue and advise you on the proper repair.

3. Car running hot - 2006 Cadillac CTS