Q: Should I replace my spare tire?

asked by on December 28, 2017

A few days before Christmas, I got a flat tire and had to use the donut spare. I was traveling for Christmas at the time, so the soonest I could get to a tire shop was 3 days and more than 200 miles of highway driving (at highway speeds) later.

I didn't realize that the restrictions on donut spares were so strict (although even if they were, it would have been hard to abide by them without abandoning the car). So I drove way over 50 mph and 50 miles on it.

The donut spare wasn't harmed, although the tread seems a bit low on it. Nonetheless, should I replace the tire?

You should have a tire store or dealer inspect the spare tire for damage and excessive wear and the need to replace it. If you drove over the 50 mile limit and over speeds limited by tire then without seeing tire I would recommend replace it.