Q: Hi terry, I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger and i bought it 2 months ago with 9K miles. I now have 14K as i drive alot. My LR tire ha

asked by on March 07, 2017

Hi terry, I have a 2015 Dodge Challenger and i bought it 2 months ago with 9K miles. I now have 14K as i drive alot. My LR tire has an inner tread level of 1/32 and outter tread is at 4/32. I was driving yesterday and my clutch gave out and the dealer is saying it is user error.. How are they able to say this is my fault do to one tire being shot? couldnt that be alignment or under inflation causing the problem? i am asking cause i have 30k bumper to bumper warranty and i feel this car is a lemon due to the clutch blowing so soon, and they want 3,000 to replace off of evidence on one tire.

A mechanic cannot determine ANYTHING about how the clutch has been used, or the failure mode of any part of the clutch mechanism, based on the condition, wear pattern, or anything of the sort relative to the vehicle’s tires. There is no logical connection between the two and it sounds like the dealer is simply trying to bamboozle you. The wear pattern on the left rear tire that you are a describing is simply a consequence of a lot of negative camber (camber is an alignment angle) at that wheel position. Depending on which version of the Challenger you have, you could easily have up to 2 degrees negative camber in the rear which is why your tires are wearing unevenly on the inside. The camber setting on that vehicle (from the factory) is the issue and there is no connection whatsoever between that alignment angle and your clutch mechanism (again, don’t let the dealer bamboozle you and take advantage of you). Two degrees negative camber (if that is what’s specified for your sub-model) is a lot on a motor vehicle. It’s built that way on the Challenger to give you stability on higher speed turns, but to save you money on tires you can definitely request that the alignment shop dial it back a little so you don’t experience premature wear-out of the tires. Also, rotating the tires every 5,000 miles will save you money. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.