Q: Crank No Start

I started my car then it turned off after a couple seconds now the engine will crank but it won't turn over. There is oil leaking from underneath the distributor. Could it be a broken timing belt or distributor O-ring?

A: First I would like to apologize for the del...

First I would like to apologize for the delay to your answer. I apparently did not click send when I first answered it.

The oil leaking from your distributor is not likely to cause a no start condition. Your timing belt certainly could. The easiest way to check for a broken timing belt is to take a compression check of each cylinder. If one or more are significantly low, your camshaft timing is certainly off and will need to be directly checked by disassembling the front of your motor and inspecting the timing marks.

Aside from the timing belt, you will need to check for spark, fuel pressure and injector pulse. Once you find what is missing, this will set you down the appropriate diagnostic path.

Last, there are two points that oil can leak from on your distributor. The mouniting o-ring and a seal inside the distributor. It is possible, but I have never seen it happen, for the seal in the distributor to leak so bad it will interfere with the spark in the distributor cap. This is easiy checked for by removing the distributor cap.

I recommend the following inspection if you should need further help. Car is not starting inspection, which can be performed by a certified technician from YourMechanic at your convenience.

Good luck!