Q: Loss of power while driving

asked by on February 01, 2018

Have a Nissan maxima and while I was driving it, itseemed to lose power and deaccelerate almost to a stop then it jerked heavy then started driving normal until it did it again, the service engine light came on when it happened & then it kept happening so I pulled over, didn't want to chance driving it still. Any idea of what it could be

Camshaft Position Sensor Replacement $104.59 - $809.88 Get a Quote

Based upon the symptoms you are describing, it sounds like you may have a faulty camshaft position sensor. The camshaft position sensor is a magnetic sensor that monitors camshaft speed to regulate ignition timing and fuel injection timing. It gathers and sends information about the car’s camshaft speed to the car’s electronic control module. This information is used by the computer to further calculate the time of ignition and the timing of fuel injection required by the engine. When this is not working properly, you may experience a drop in power, poor idling, poor fuel mileage and problems starting the vehicle. As the sensor begins to fail and gets worse over time as the signal it provides to the computer weakens. I would recommend having a professional from YourMechanic come to your location to diagnose your camshaft position sensor.