Q: Steering wheel groans/sputters on turns

My steering wheel started to groan about a month ago. It's fine when I'm driving straight, but if I make any sort of hard turn, it makes a sputtering groan sort of noise. My mechanic says the steering column probably needs to be remounted and that driving on city streets riddled with potholes and speed bumps probably jostled things around. He says it's not critical though -- I could just let it go and not have it fixed, and the car wouldn't suffer. What do you think?

Hello, thank you for writing in. The previous tech who examined the vehicle may be correct, but it is impossible to verify that without the vehicle in front of us. The steering column can cause these symptoms, but so can the power steering pump and hydraulics. If you are having any issues turning, as in it is becoming more difficult to steer, you may have issues with the other components in the steering system. You can do some simple tests by turning the steering wheel clock to clock (or all the way to both sides) while the engine is running. Have someone do this while you locate the source of the sounds. For more help or a second inspection, contact our service department to schedule an appointment.

3. Steering wheel groans/sputters on turns