Q: brake light issues

The brake lights do not work when the pedal is depressed. I have replaced the bulbs with no luck. The brake lights work when the hazards are on. A voltage meter obviously gave a good reading when the hazards were on but not when brake pedal was depressed. I have checked all of the fuses and they were all in good shape. I have read that it may be a brake switch problem, however the rear window brake light works when the pedal is depressed and I am not certain that it would light up if there was a lack of signal from the switch. Tail lights work, as do the reverse lights. Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Hello. If the high mount light is working, I would trace the circuit from the other brake light bulbs to identify an open in the circuit or an excessive voltage drop. If the voltage drop along the circuit exceeds tenths of a volt you have an excessive resistance somewhere which is keeping the lights from powering on. If you need to have this looked at, a certified technician from YourMechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the brake light for you and assist with the appropriate repairs.

3. brake light issues