Q: Drivetrain malfunction warning but no check engine light

asked by on December 23, 2017

I took the car to the dealer to be inspected after I got the drivetrain malfunction warning. The check engine light was on at the same time. The dealer said that both warnings were due to the engine thermostat. I got it replaced. The engine light is now gone but I still get the drivetrain malfunction error. I noticed that the engine currently doesn't get warm after 5 min of idling but the heater is definitely blowing warm air. It takes a fair bit of driving to get the engine to warm up. The average temperatures outside is about 25°-35°f. I also noticed that I usually get the error when trying to speed up while in a higher gear. "drivetrain malfunction. Reduced power. Drive moderately".

If the engine is not operating within the required temperature range, in your case possibly at too low a temperature, that can reduce fuel efficiency and also cause condensation to contaminate the engine oil. The normal temperature range, as reflected on the coolant temperature gauge, is between 195 degrees and 215 degrees. The drivetrain malfunction light means that there is a fault in one or more engine management systems. Clues as to the fault will typically be found in downloadable trouble codes, so those codes should be sought, and evaluated, first. The possible trouble areas are too numerous to list as they include many ignition system, fuel system, air induction, and even transmission related faults. If you want the required diagnostic steps performed by a certified Mechanic, dispatched by YourMechanic right to your location, please request a check engine light diagnostic and the responding certified mechanic will pinpoint the fault(s) that has caused the drivetrain warning light to come on. If you have further questions or concerns, do not hesitate to re-contact YourMechanic as we are always here to help you.