Q: Was cranking car and it just stopped. There is new battery. Lights horn are functioning, I get zero respsponse when turning key

asked by on October 07, 2016

I assume starter or something related to electric. What should I check. It gets no response. No clicking solenoid, no sound at all.

Electrical components are not working Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hi, thanks for writing in. You need to see if the starter has main battery power to the large terminal of the starter and then ignition power when the key is turned, getting to starter solenoid small terminal. If there is no power to the large wire, then check cable connections for power, and check the ground at the battery and starter. If there is no power to the small solenoid wire when the key is turned, then check the ignition switch and connector for problems. To check starter operation, jump the battery power to the solenoid small connection and if it cranks over, you know the starter is fine and that the wiring or ignition switch is the problem. If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.