Q: screw edge of sidewall

asked by on July 03, 2017

i have a screw at the edge of the sidewall. looks more like in the main thread. can i plug it?

Hi there. The general policy on repairing tires with a screw or nail, is that the puncture needs to be contained within the tread of the tire, up to 1/2" from the sidewall. Due to this fact, when there is a screw in the sidewall or outer edge of the tire tread, it can’t be repaired. If you purchased tires for your car from a tire replacement company, you might want to contact them first to determine if you have a road hazard replacement policy on your tires; as a screw in the tire would be considered a road hazard with most tire centers.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $70/hr