The vehicle lunges in gear 1996 k1500 v8-5.7l maf (mass a...

Q: The vehicle lunges in gear

asked by on December 10, 2016

The engine runs perfect in neautral but in gear it will start a lunging or bucking type motion had clutch replace a few weeks before the problem started it's not every time but almost and gets worse with speed

This may be related to a faulty throttle position sensor or potentially a dirty or failing mass air flow sensor. The mass air flow sensor is a unit in the intake system that monitors air intake as it is mixed with fuel prior to being injected into the motor. When this is dirty or faulty, this causes an imbalanced air/fuel load to be supplied to the motor which results in an over fueling or under fueling situation depending on the conditions. This type of inconsistent fuel supply to the motor may cause a hesitation, loss of power, a jerking reaction, potentially a bit of black exhaust smoke and typically a strong smell of fuel when this sensor is malfunctioning. When this is not working properly, you may also notice a strong smell of fuel. I would suggest having a professional from Your Mechanic come to your home to diagnose your mass air flow sensor.