Q: Bad engine knock, what can I do?

asked by on November 06, 2015

The engine in my 2007 Ford Fusion starting knocking violently driving the other day. I was pretty surprised, given that the car has just under 80,000 on it and it is never driven hard. I pulled over and killed the engine. When I tried to start it back up, nothing happened. What would make an engine so low in mileage fail completely?

The 2007 Ford Fusion 2.3l Duratec is usually a very dependable engine with few problems. However, there are several issues that could cause knocking and engine seizure. The engine oil filter in this engine is a cartridge type that has a cover that can get warped if over tightened during an oil change. This may potentially cause a sudden oil leak in which an engine could lose most of its oil in a short period and could starve the engine of oil pressure. The loss of oil pressure could cause the engine to knock loudly and seize up. Another possible problem is that the engine front crankshaft damper pulley is not keyed to the crankshaft assembly on this engine. If the damper pulley bolt comes loose without the camshaft timing gears held in place, the timing between the camshaft and crankshaft will not be in sync with each other. If this happens, the cylinder head valves would hit the tops of the pistons, potentially causing the engine to seize and a loud engine knocking noise. YourMechanic will need to determine if your engine was starved of oil or the timing is out of sync. Either way your engine would need to be replaced.