Q: Car starts but dies when the gas pedal is pressed

asked by on November 06, 2016

my moms husband put a very large bag of sugar in her gas tank. she drove it not knowing and its been stranded at her friends house for over a month. we have now cleaned it out and replaced the fuel pump. now she got it to start but when she steps on the gas it makes a strange sound and dies?

Uh oh - this isn’t good. It is likely that some of the contaminated gas may still be clogging other fuel system components, and needs to be chemically cleaned out - fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator or injectors (especially). After cleaning the rest of the system, the injectors may need to be removed, cleaned with an ultra-sonic cleaner (standard process), tested for proper spray and flow, and replaced. If you would like to have scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling issue and advise you on the best action to take.

Experienced Mechanic?

Earn up to $65/hr