Q: Car starts but dies when the gas pedal is pressed

my moms husband put a very large bag of sugar in her gas tank. she drove it not knowing and its been stranded at her friends house for over a month. we have now cleaned it out and replaced the fuel pump. now she got it to start but when she steps on the gas it makes a strange sound and dies?

Uh oh - this isn’t good. It is likely that some of the contaminated gas may still be clogging other fuel system components, and needs to be chemically cleaned out - fuel filter, fuel lines, fuel pressure regulator or injectors (especially). After cleaning the rest of the system, the injectors may need to be removed, cleaned with an ultra-sonic cleaner (standard process), tested for proper spray and flow, and replaced. If you would like to have scoped out, a certified professional from YourMechanic can come to your car’s location to inspect the stalling issue and advise you on the best action to take.

3. Car starts but dies when the gas pedal is pressed