Q: Car glitches out when trying to start

asked by on October 23, 2016

Hi there, I own a 2000 impreza outback sport and recently i have been having some trouble starting the car up. When I go to put the key in and turn it the whole electrical system does this weird clicking of everything and than will not let me start up the car. I've also noticed at night sometimes my headlights and dashboard lights go in and out like get brighter than dimmer like somethings wrong with the electrical side of things. Thinking its possibly a starter problem or a aftermarket alarm system problem or something that has to do with the power being sent i think its to the alternator or something like its only sending something like 13.8 volts when its suppose to be sending 14. Would like to know if you've heard anything like this and what i can do to fix it?

Hi there. This does sound like an electrical issue. Most of the time this is caused by a problem with either a loose negative batter ground, but I have also had a lot of problems with the positive battery cable failing internally and creating high internal resistance. I usually check the negative battery connections first to make sure that they are clean and tight. If they are, then I do a voltage drop test of the positive battery cable. If there is high internal resistance then this will occur.

It can also be an issue with the ignition switch or the fuse box but those are not as common. If you are planning on having this checked, consider YourMechanic, as a certified mechanic can come to your home or office to diagnose the starting issue and follow through with the correct repairs.