Q: Car losing power above 2nd gear for a second

I've been having this problem for a while now. When I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear, and higher, when the gas pedal is completely floored, the car is accelerating. However, when it hits about 2200 to 2600 rpms, the power drops off for a second, then continues to rise like normal. The dealership told me it's fine. The problem is hard to duplicate - sometimes the drop is very small, and sometimes it loses so much power I feel almost like my brakes are on. What is going on?

The only way to accurately diagnose this concern is to have the vehicle’s loss of power condition inspected firsthand by a professional, such as one from YourMechanic. I can, however, make a couple of guesses as to what is wrong:

This vehicle uses an electronic throttle control (ETC) instead of a traditional throttle cable. In this system, the module receives input from the accelerator position sensor regarding driving throttle input. The module then operates the throttle motor to adjust the throttle accordingly. The problem could be somewhere in this system.

Another area to look is the variable induction system, which varies the length of intake tract to provide optimum performance over a wide range of engine speeds. In either case, there are likely diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) stored, which will help with the diagnostic process.