Q: What can happen without using my fuel rail pressure sensor?

asked by on October 10, 2016

My fuel rail pressure sensor is faulty. I'm wondering if it can cause the issue I'm having where my car tries to shut down while driving. Please help me

The fuel rail pressure sensor is used by the computer to regulate the fuel pressure by regulating the voltage to the fuel pump to slow it down or speed it up. If the pressure switch is bad then the computer has no feed back to control fuel pressure and may go into failure mode. The failure mode can cause the engine to run erratic and the transmission to shift harsh, so this may be causing the problems you are having. Have the system scanned and repaired as needed. A qualified professional from YourMechanic can diagnose the stalling problem and move forward with the next repairs.