Q: How to check for power steering leak

What is the easiest way to check for the power steering leak?

The easiest way is using the UV leak dye. I’ve got a video "finding and fixing car oil leaks." You get a little UV leak dye and put maybe a tablespoon in the power steering, drive it around for about five minutes. Then you look with yellow sunglasses and use a UV light kit that you can get for around 20-30 bucks and you’ll see where the green dye is leaking out to show where the leak is.

Generally, on those, it’s either the pump that’s leaking at the seal, power steering hose itself on the outside, where the pressure leak or the power steering rack is leaking. Look at the ends of the boots to see if the dye is coming out of there, meaning that the rack is leaking. You can always have a certified professional inspect your fluid leak if you are not comfortable doing this. If you’d like, YourMechanic technicians can service your car at your home or office and make any required repairs.