Q: Q: How do I inspect the tires?

How do I inspect the tires?

It’s important that you keep your tires at the right pressure, but it’s just as important that you regularly inspect them before you drive. Ford recommends checking them daily, and here’s what you should do:

• Visually inspect all four tires for low pressure (physically check the pressure once per week). If a tire looks lower than the others, check it with a gauge and add air if necessary.

• Check the valve stems for missing caps, as well as for cracks, cuts, nicks or other signs of damage.

• Check the sidewalls of the tires for gouges, cuts and damage (including cracking, which can be a sign of dry rot).

• Check the tread area for glass, rocks, nails and other debris that might puncture the tire.

• Check the treadwear for evenness or signs of excessive wear. Keep up with your tire rotations to ensure even wear across all four tires. If you notice uneven tread wear on a tire, have your car inspected and serviced (it could need a rotation, an alignment or another type of repair).

Tips

• If you find signs of damage, have your tire repaired or replaced immediately.

• Don’t drive on a damaged tire – install your spare or have the car towed.

3. Q: How do I inspect the tires?