Q: 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4 cyl. 108,000 miles, code P0011 (Cam position, Actuator A-Bank I, Timing over-advance)

I have a 2008 Hyundai Sonata GLS 4 cyl. 108,000 miles. Changed oil at 7/29/2015 at 86,664M, 12/22/15 at 95,000M. 04/23/2016 at 101,423M, 09/13/2016 at 107,693M.

About a year and a half ago,or earlier, the CEL came on with a P0011 scanner code. I turned the CEL off, it did not come back. I looked up the code, but did not do anything about it. 01/12/2016, the light and the code P0011 came back on.Turned the engine light off, and came back on 01/23/2016. I looked up to see the P0011 code again, and what might be the problem, and one of the many things that could be wrong was a bad engine oil, but the light did not return. The CEL came back on again at 09/08/2016 (again,6,000 miles since the last oil change). a few days later, at 107,693M,I changed the oil, air filters, spark plugs, and checked the PCV valve. Since then, the CEL has not come back on. About every three months the car stalls, usually after starting, but immediately returns back to normal.

If you would like help, consider having an expert automotive technician from YourMechanic come to your home or office to inspect and diagnose this issue for you, and make or suggest any repairs as needed.

A: Hello, thanks for writing in. I'd be ha...

Hello, thanks for writing in. I'd be happy to provide my insight. The cam position actuator is an engine component that is responsible for phasing the camshafts and altering the timing. It works using oil pressure, so you are good to change the oil regularly. There are cases, however, where the camshaft phasers or solenoids become stuck, or simply stop working and need to be replaced. In this instance the phaser or solenoid may be getting stuck in the an over advanced position, stetting of the light. If the light comes back on I would take a look at the cam position solenoids and phasers.

Regards,

Eduardo YourMechanic