Q: Clunking noise, and poping sound when turning hard

Clunking noise when shifting from park to drive or reverse, also can hear it sometime when trasmission shifts into 2nd gear.

Poping sound when making a hard turn, can feel it through the floor and steering wheel sometimes. But only a single pop. Also will hear a pop sometimes toward the back of my cab when turning.

Hello and thank you for contacting YourMechanic. When shifting your vehicle from park to drive or reverse, there is usually a problem with a universal joint in the drive shaft. The clunking noise is the bearings in the universal joint being ground down into power leaving a gap for the joint to move around in. It will get louder as the vehicle turns if the center support bearing is worn out making the drive shaft move around while the universal joint is damaged. This places more stress on the joint.

I recommend replacing the universal joint and a possible damaged center support bearing on the drive shaft. If you need assistance with this, I recommend having one of our mobile technicians diagnose the noises you’re hearing for an accurate repair.