Q: Engine light on. I have code p0013

asked by on October 07, 2016

Car stalled on me. Took it in for an oil change. Engine light still on. Car is hopping and won't let me accelerate a lot. Autozone ran a diagnostic of that code and said wrong engine oil might have been used.

My car's transmission is unknown to me.

Car is stalling Inspection $79.99 - $89.99 Get a Quote

Hello. A P0013 code on this engine indicates a problem with the exhaust camshaft position - most often caused by a failed exhaust camshaft timing solenoid. This solenoid turns engine oil pressure on or off to vary the timing of the exhaust camshaft (relative to the intake camshaft) to improve fuel efficiency and enhance low RPM engine power. This solenoid needs to be replaced. (Note: It is possible that oil on the electrical contacts to the solenoid could cause it to not operate properly - so this is worth a quick look.) I would recommend having a local expert, like one from YourMechanic, perform a diagnostic on the stalling issue to confirm the fault, provide an accurate assessment of damage, and estimate the cost of repairs.